Barn on Birchwood

2.1/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  2.0
  • Professionalism:  1.5

Megan 8 Reviews
Let me preface this by saying that my guests had a wonderful time at our wedding. The food was fantastic, the wait staff was wonderful, the scenery was lovely, and all in all, it was a great wedding them to attend. However, as a bride, I did not enjoy the venue as much as my guests did. The owner of The Barn/wedding coordinator had a tendency to be quite abrupt and inconsiderate, which made our months of planning as well as the rehearsal and day of the wedding quite stressful for myself and the bridal party.
Wedding: 2+ years ago
4.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.5
  • Professionalism:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  3.0
We used the Barn at Birchwood for our ceremony and reception. It is a beautiful location, and the owners do a great job maintaining the Barn and the Grove areas. The pictures of the area hardly do it justice. And the food was incredible. Our guests loved the presentation of the food, and we were thrilled to hear that nearly everyone loved their meals. That's a hard thing to say about a lot of wedding caterers!
Working with Suzie was great. She has a lot going on and is trying to run a successful business, but we enjoyed working with her and her staff. We were able to provide her with detalied information regarding set-up for our ceremony and recpetion, and the entire staff made everything look perfect. She was even able to accomodate our elderly guests by providing them with transportation to and from the ceremony areas. We cannot thank them enough for helping in that way! Our only regret is that dinner took a while to serve, so we had limited dancing at the end of the evening. We would have loved to have more time on the dance floor, but the time we had was great.
Wedding: 06/04/2011
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
1.0/5.0
  • Value:  1.0

nichole 1 Reviews
I was just married at the Barn at Birchwood. The owners, mainly Suzie, have ZERO people skills. Let me start off by saying that she had us fooled for over a year! She was SO sweet during the whole planning process. That is, until I called her 7 months before our date to ask if it were possible to lower our guest minimum. This was because the groom's mother had just unexpectedly passed away. Hit hard with medical and credit card bills, it is a surprise we didn't have to cancel the wedding completely! Rather than showing any sort of compassion she said, "I am trying to run a business here, but I always fall for people’s sob stories". When we went for our final meeting we informed her that we would not be doing parent introductions or the "father-daughter dance", decisions that were made by my parents and I because we didn't want to draw attention to my Groom whose parents have passed away. Her response? "Well, I think you should do it. I would just be thankful MY parents are still here." She said this in front of the groom! So unbelievable insensitive! But, it doesn't end here. From the rehearsal (which by the way they completely forgotten about! My guests arrived and all of the lights were turned off!) to the end of the reception she did nothing but yell and be rude to everyone- including the bridal party! She made snide comments about the decorations, ("if it were up to me, that wreath wouldn't even be there but the bride HAD to have everything as fall as possible"), called my Mom a drunk, ("Oh, don't hand that to that drunk!) cursed at one of my bridesmaids, ("Well, maybe if you used the f*ucking vase, you could f*ucking hold everything"), demanded to more than 3 guests that they clean her windows when someone "wrote" on them (the glass was foggy and they wrote congratulations on the window WITH THEIR FINGER!), and even cut guests off who weren't even drunk! She even called the flower girl, (a 3 year old!) a stripper when she was playfully hanging on a pole!! She has no concept of simple courtesy. She never would politely ask anyone to do anything. Instead of "Could you please bring your drinks inside" it was "You can't bring drinks out here! Get inside! Can't you read a sign?!". Unfortunately, I don't believe these are isolated incidents. I found out just last night from my photographer that she was rude to him the entire time! When he arrived and asked where he should set up she said, "Um. I don't have time for this!" and walked away! When he asked if he could set up lights to help with the photos she refused. He explained to her that this would prevent him from making large prints that I paid for. She said to him, "Oh well, that's not my problem". Thanks Suzie-you just ruined my wedding photos. Honestly, it may sound like I am exaggerating, but in reality I am not even close to reporting all of the problems with this woman! My Mom left something behind, and we went back a few days later to pick it up. Rather than holding her items in the office she left them OUTSIDE on the front step! She is extremely rude! The facility is absolutely stunning, but in my opinion Suzie should NOT attend the receptions she hosts! She has zero customer service skills. If the location wasn't gorgeous I doubt she would still be in business. It is truly a shame because the wait staff and food are amazing! I don't know how they work with her.
Wedding: 11/20/2010
2.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Responsiveness:  3.0
  • Professionalism:  0.0
  • Value:  1.5
  • Flexibility:  1.5
My reception was held at the Barn at Birchwood in Sept. 2010. The facility is gorgeous and the food was exceptional. The historic ambiance was very enticing to my husband and I. The owners killed this rating. They were extremely unprofessional in the way that they handled our guests and the customer service of the event. They were snapping and yelling at everyone -offending more than half our guests. The snapped at our wedding party for chatting amongst themselves, guests for grabbing a drink at the "wrong bar" and this list could go on and on. In a party setting, people will chat and walk around, rules are understood, but the way in which they were conveyed was what created a distaste. We also did not have a rowdy or loud bunch. I would not recommend my reception site to any bride or groom because of the owners. They seem nice at first, but it is very hard to stomach the lack of professionalism in how they will treat your guests on your special day. It is shame considering how beautiful their facility is.
Wedding: 09/05/2010
1.0/5.0
  • Value:  1.0

rachel 1 Reviews
I cannot even begin to detail how horrible our experience was with the barn. Namely, with Suzie.

Do not be fooled by her sweet demeanor on your first meeting, she does that to suck you in. Try talking about making any changes to the gameplan, and she FREAKS out.

3 weeks before our wedding, she called my parents, freaking out about the bar arrangement we had. We didn't want alcohol. Period. They talked us into doing a cash bar with the promise that soda and water would be free for the guests. 3 weeks before the wedding, they changed their minds about this. THEY SUGGESTED IT! and they took my parents for an extra $500... unbelievable.

Suzie was incredibly rude the entire day of the wedding. I had three people specifically instructed to keep her away from my mother and I, and she still found a way to get in our faces.

Here is some of the highlights of Suzie's rudeness and incompetence.

-She stopped me before I walked down the aisle (literally arm in arm with my father, music playing) and said, verbatim, "You see, next time you get married, this is what your wedding coordinator is supposed to do." Double whammy! Apparently I am going to remarry and my wedding coordinator (who she wouldn't let do her job) sucked. Seriously?

-The groom and groomsmen are allowed beer while they're getting ready. We got married at 10:30. She didn't want to give them the beer because it was too early. They demanded it and she told them that she would get it, but that it was too early for decent people to start drinking. Wow.... my husband is the most moderate drinker ever. She is unreal.

-She yelled at the best men. She neglected to let them know that all their stuff needed to be moved before the ceremony began... (where was this ever mentioned in the paperwork?) She was about to move it herself, when, thankfully, one of our guests saw it and told her he would take care of it. When the best men went back for my husband's stuff, it was gone! They asked her if she'd moved it, or seen it and she told them, again verbatim "How the fuck should I know where your shit is?" Seriously??? Really? You're going to use that kind of language towards my guests?

-She instructed our catering staff to clean the bathrooms. Nowhere ever in the paperwork does it mention that we had to do that. Thankfully, my caterer called her out on that, and they didn't have to do that.

This woman is such a disorganized, chaotic, rude and uncouth woman who almost destroyed my wedding day. She offended EVERYONE who talked to her, which appears to be 75% of my guests, and almost stressed my parents to their breaking point.

I hope that Suzie realizes that she is unfit for this line of business. When you are in the wedding industry, you do what other people want you to, as much as in within your power and reason. You don't demand people fit into your exact little mold.

I will never recommend you to anyone, I have booked 7 weddings on my own this year (wedding photographer) and I have already told them (they've asked for recommendations) that you are the worst place they could go to, and it's a shame. It's only because of you. Either hire someone to do your PR, or sell that place so someone who knows what they are doing can buy it and make it profitable and a wonderful place to have your wedding.

Wedding: 08/21/2010
2.6/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.0
  • Value:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0

Megan 1 Reviews
The owners need to find another industry to work in, their customer service is horrible. The worst I ever saw. Yelling and I mean yelling and being rude about it. They are very sweet and kind at first but when they have all your money, you see another side of them.

The place is very pretty. The little stream is beautiful but be prepared for your guest, even kids, to be yelled at some point through the night.
Wedding: 06/08/2010
4.9/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Suzie and everyone else at The Barn were great! The place looked awesome on the day of our wedding. Everything was perfect. The food was EXCELLENT! Easily THE BEST food we have ever had at a wedding. All of our guests had a great time at the reception. I can't say enough...great place! We have wonderful memories of our big day thanks to them!
Wedding: 11/07/2009
4.8/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Professionalism:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  5.0
We had our ceremony and our reception at The Barn. What a wonderful experience!! This is an excellent choice for your wedding if you would like package deals. Our cost per head included our centerpieces, our cake, the rental of the venue, food, and open bar. This was one of the only venues which offered all of this in one price. The value for the cost was also great. The cost per head was equal to the cost of other venues in the area that did not include the cake or centerpieces. Suzie was extremely responsive with communication via email or on the phone. The Barn offers a venue with much more personality than a stuffy hotel ballroom, and small additions like chair covers really dress it up. I would suggest this venue to anyone who is considering choosing it for her day.
Wedding: 09/06/2009
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility:  4.0
The Barn at Birchwood was everything we could have asked for. They did a fantastic job!! Everyone raved about the food and the service.
Wedding: 08/08/2008
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
5.0/5.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Everyone was so amazed how gorgeous everything looked they did a fantastic job with everything. The decorations were perfect and the food was so good!! I can not thank Suzie and her team for everything they did for us and believe me they went out of there way to make it perfect for us not to metion they had alot of patience for us!!
Wedding: 05/10/2008