Bali Hai Restaurant

(4.8 / 5.0)
Flexibility:
(4.6 / 5.0)
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Couldn't be happier with this place. The price the view the food everything was above and beyond what I expected. Lauren is their event coordinator and she was very responsive to all my calls and emails. She has almost three weddings every weekend I don't know how does it but she made me feel very important every time.

• Wedding: 10/18/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Bali Hai was an idyllic place for my destination wedding. The outdoor patio right on the water was beautiful. You can't get a better view anywhere in San Diego. Food was delicious and staff was professional and on point. Highly recommend.

• Wedding: 10/11/2014
Sarah
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Bali Hai was amazing. We had our wedding in the outside gazebo. Everyone commented on how lovely and romantic and perfect the setting was! The harbor views were amazing and being outside in San Diego was the perfect setting! Food is amazing and we had the buffet which has sooo many options everyone loved the food too! Lauren was so helpful and sweet the whole time and kept us up to date with all the things we needed to do.

• Wedding: 08/30/2014
4.6/5.0
  • Value: 3.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Bali Hai was our first venue visit and ended up being the one we chose! It was absolutely perfect with their outdoor pavilion and outdoor ceremony space. We loved working with Lauren who was always quick to answer any questions we had. She met with us numerous times and was very helpful and accommodating being that we were from 4 hours north of the location. The food was very good and we had a lot of guests say so. It's definitely worth the money, however, we were not happy about them cleaning up tables and chairs and closing the bar at 9:30 when we had the venue until 10. Our guests felt rushed and we had a few that said they were asked to get up so they could put the tables and chairs away. Other than that it was a great venue!

David & Sari Eriksen

• Wedding: 06/07/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

The Bali Hai is an amazingly gorgeous place to have the ceremony and reception. The food was out of this world yummy. The drinks/ cocktails are very generous. The price is spot on. The best of all is the coordinator- Lauren, and the staff. They were all friendly, helpful, and all smiles. Top notch wedding venue. Can't wait to celebrate our anniversary dinner here every year!!! Thank you!!

• Wedding: 06/07/2014
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Great Food, Great Service, GREAT DRINKS, Great view, great everything! I have been to the Bali Hai for lunch, happy hour and dinner several times; then just this month I got married here! Lauren and Chelsea were such a tremendous help in organizing the event- and the staff the night of was so great and attentive (I am still receiving compliments). Few brides can say their night was absolutely perfect, however I am one of them and it would not have been so without the great support of the restaurant as well as the fantastic food, drinks and ambiance. Our guests said it felt like they were on vacation in Hawaii. I would absolutely recommend the Bali hai to anyone getting married or even just looking for a great happy hour spot!

• Wedding: 06/06/2014
melissa
  • Flexibility: 5.0

5 stars are not enough stars!

We hosted our wedding and reception here. The views are spectacular both inside and out. The food is exquisite and the service was beyond belief. The ultimate venue in San Diego for a wedding. Thank you Lauren and Chelsea for making our day so memorable!

• Wedding: 03/29/2014
Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
Cora
4.8/5.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I saw so many venues prior to picking Bali Hai for my wedding venue. I went to Bali Hai on a rainy. foggy day and still knew that this was my venue. The views are incredible! They have many different options for food and alcohol. We picked a buffet and added appetizers and a hosted bar up to a set amount. The amount of food they give you in the buffet package is incredible...two main courses, a carving station, four salads and two sides! All of which were excellent! Everyone raved about how good the food was.
I was worried about a February wedding in San Diego, but the weather was absolutely perfect. The backdrop with the water and downtown San Diego was breathtaking.

The only thing that I would advise is to make sure you keep all of your paperwork and have everything documented. We originally were given some incorrect information, but because I had it in an email, the owner honored what they had originally told us. But it did take some going back and forth before they would honor this for us.

Other than that I would highly recommend Bali Hai! The pictures are absolutely amazing and you truly can not beat the view!

• Wedding: Recently Married
Private User
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We had our wedding reception here, and everything was amazing. Not going to bore everyone with the behind-the-scenes details, but we had to book this place blind - both sight unseen and food untasted. Thankfully it ended up working out in our favor!

Service:
The catering managers were very responsive and easy to work with. The day of the wedding, the wait staff was attentive and polite. In fact the head waitress checked in with us periodically to make sure our glasses were full and we had everything we needed - not what I expected at all and most welcome! Larry the owner was also on-site and made sure we were happy.

Food:
Everyone raved about the food. My husband raved about the jerk spiced pork tenderloin, while I preferred the macadamia nut dusted mahi mahi (so tasty!). The package we purchased provided quite a bit of food for everyone. If you left hungry, it was your own fault!

Alcohol:
We opted for the mid-level alcohol selection, and many people said they were pleasantly surprised at the options they had. I never once made it to the bar so I can't really elaborate, but hooray!

Other:
The view can't be beat - it really was stunning, being able to see the city lights on the water. What could be beat, though, was the karaoke-themed wedding going on in Bali Hai's other reception area. While some people weren't born with the pipes of Frank Sinatra, it certainly made for some good entertainment! I should disclaim that once we were inside with our own DJ, we couldn't hear any of it.

• Wedding: 11/02/2013
4.7/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 3.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

I loved having my wedding at Bali Hai! They have the most amazing views and delicious food, which were two priorities for my husband and I. I had my wedding in the Hawaiian Village, which if you are booking in July, August, or September, I highly recommend. I thought it would get chilly at night, which was not the case at all, it was perfect.

The food was so good. It's true as a bride, it's almost impossible to eat. Per the tasting, I knew it would be something my guests would rave about! We served the petite filet mignon (so perfect, you could cut it with a fork) and the macadamia nut crusted mahi mahi, and a prime rib carving station. The hor d'oeuvres were great too! I have been to dozens of weddings in San Diego, and this is by far the best wedding food I have had.

From what I remember Lauren and Chelsea were always quick to respond to the thousands of emails they received between my wedding planner and I. They were so great to work with, I can not thank the Bali Hai team enough! Based on how many weddings and events go on there, I was truly amazed at how responsive they were.

I do have to point out to make sure you keep track of everything in the contract and pay attention to detail (probably goes with any venue). I know the Bali Hai is usually booked solid with weddings so for me it was totally understandable that I did catch a few discrepancies (example: week of the wedding I noticed they put the wrong item for the carving station, when I told them, they then told me it would be additional charge, however, it was actually part of their package. When I pointed that out, they were quick to fix everything). Since I looked over everything thoroughly it was no big deal, had I not noticed, we would have been really upset.

All in all, I was thrilled with my day, while there were a few mistakes here and there, Bali Hai really went above and beyond.

• Wedding: 09/28/2013
4.5/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.5
  • Professionalism: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 5.0

My Big Day was amazing. Bali Hai provided everything that I wanted and beyond. Food was amazing, Lauren and Chelsea were great to work with and they listened to all my requests. The only issue was the set up of the chairs in the reception where I requested less chairs but they ended up putting all the chairs in the world on the site and unfortunately my ceremony looked a bit empty ;( but everything was perfect.. I was blessed by a super sunny day and a warm night where all my guests could not stop talking about... After checking more than 10 venues, I couldn't be happier with my final choice. Bali Hai is the best place to get married in SD area. Thank you Bali Hai for making my dream come true.

• Wedding: 07/12/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We knew from the beginning we wanted to get married at the Bali Hai and it was PERFECT. This place got a complete overhaul several years ago and we were thrilled that they preserved the vintage tiki vibe with a modern feel. The food was fantastic, the staff were top notch, and the whole thing was flawless. We did have 170 people in the downstairs South Pacific room and when the dancing started it did get a bit hot but that's really to be expected. The owner himself was even on site helping with our event! We were treated like family and I can't say enough great things about this place. Thank you to everyone at the Bali Hai! We'll be back very soon for more mai tais!

• Wedding: 06/08/2013
  • Flexibility: 5.0

We just had our wedding at the Bali Hai on Friday, November 9th, and I had the best day of my life! Bali Hai is such a beautiful restaurant that sits right on the water on Shelter Island, and the floor to ceiling windows show you the entire San Diego skyline. The food was absolutely delicious: we had the Asian Chimichuri New York Steak and Hoison BBQ Chicken with the plated meal option. The servers were friendly and helpful all night, and the bartender was excellent as well!

I think we really got a bang for our buck here, and it was the most inclusive and least expensive of all venues we previously looked at. Jenny, the event coordinator, was so helpful and very quick to respond to my many questions. She had the best suggestions and really helped make the night as great as what it was.

• Wedding: 11/09/2012
4.7/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Responsiveness: 4.5
  • Flexibility: 5.0

Our September wedding reception was held at the outdoor "Hawaiian Village" location in the Bali Hai Restaurant. My fiance and I chose the spot for its fantastic views of the downtown skyline, but our choice ended being excellent in so many ways. Jenny, the catering manager, is amazing to work with. She listened to all of our ideas and gave us expert advice about what would work well and which ideas we may want to adjust. We had a large number of close family and friends, so it was very important for us to stick to our budget. The Bali Hai allowed us to bring in our own wine (for a corkage fee) and gave us ideas on how to craft a menu that was both delicious and budget friendly. The day before the wedding, I dropped off our wine and was assisted by the owner of the restaurant. He was so friendly, and was on site during our wedding making sure things went smoothly. We felt very taken care of. Our wedding reception was a dream come true, and our family and friends could not stop talking about how wonderful the food, drinks, and views were!

• Wedding: 09/24/2012
Allyson
4.4/5.0
  • Quality of Service: 4.0
  • Flexibility: 4.0

The Bali Hai was a wonderful venue for our wedding! The value of the package that we got was unmatched anywhere else. We had SO MUCH food and alcohol included in our package for the price, it was outstanding. The quality of the food was superb. Working with Jenny Benitez was a joy; she was extremely professional and on top of everything from the moment we signed our contract until the big day. I would highly, highly recommend her and her team and the Bali Hai to anyone.

• Wedding: 2+ years ago
Anonymous
4.5/5.0
  • Flexibility: 3.5

Amazing venue, the sunset against the city skyline was worth every penny. The food and service was exceptional! All of our guests kept coming to us and said it was the best wedding they've ever been to!
It was an unexpected heat wave during our wedding weekend and the venue was able to bring down some fans to cool is off! With a heavy dress on, that's all I needed to enjoy the night!

• Wedding: 08/31/2012
619-222-1181
Please let this vendor know you found them on WeddingWire

My Awards