An Elegant Affair by Amy

4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.5
  • Responsiveness:  3.5

Private User 5 Reviews
Very accommodating, friendly, and know you by name. Seamstress has done an amazing job thus far!
Wedding: Recently Married
4.0/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0

Private User 9 Reviews
I purhcased my wedding dress back in July, months before my wedding because of moving. An Elegant Affair housed my dressed until I was able to get back to Iowa. They also took great care of my bridesmaids after having quite the fiasco with material. A few days before our wedding date I arrived back to Iowa to try my dress on at my parents home, after having it on for a while we notice light brown stains all over my skirt. I believe it was from dirty water in the steamer. The staff was trying to be very helpful and eventually we were able to clean the entire skirt, leaving only minor stains to see in the sunlight. Moral of the story make sure you check your dress over before it leaves the store.
Wedding: Recently Married
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility:  3.0
Lots of options to choose from...staff was very helpful while we were determining dress styles and options. Prices were very reasonable.
Wedding: 06/15/2013
4.6/5.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
You're not going to get raging deals at An Elegant Affair, but we loved their customer service and the quality of our dresses. We purchased dresses for me, my sister/MOH and niece/flower girl here and the whole experience was pretty stress-free. By the way, their alterations person works wonders. LOVE her.
Wedding: 04/27/2013
0.2/5.0
  • Value:  1.0
  • Flexibility:  0.0
while they have a good selection their staff is horrible. No one knows how to measure properly. They do not take responsibility for their mistakes, of which there were many.

I woldn't wish their "service" on my worst enemy.
Wedding: 09/22/2012

Anonymous 7 Reviews
I had a great experience here. I found a dress I liked there, but wasn't ready to commit right away. About a month later they put the sample dress on sale and thought to call me to let me know since they remembered I liked it. They then held on to the dress for me until the morning of the wedding so I never had to store it before the wedding.
Wedding: 1+ year ago
0.4/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  2.0
  • Flexibility:  0.0
DO NOT GO HERE!!! I had horrid service, and I am a returning customer. I went here for my senior prom dress in 2006 and spent a little over $300 on it, I had a pretty good experience. So I returned for my wedding dress AND MY BRIDAL PARTY'S DRESSES. This is how I was treated:

I tried my dress on and expressed to the associate, Kaitlin, that I wasn't sure about the fit because I have been working out and losing weight. (to put in perspective I am 5' 1" and 139 lbs, so I am not a stick but I am petite) She assumed that I was saying I think I am fat and told me not to be worried about my curves and to "rock them". What I was saying was that I didn't like how the dress fit and that I am in the process of losing even more weight so I would like to order the dress smaller than the sample dress, which was a size 10, as it was already lose. She argued with me and said that she thought it looked fine. I again expressed my concern that I have already lost weight and am still losing weight and just didn't like the way it fit. Again Kaitlin said that it was fine and that she recommends the size 10. At this point my father stood up to her and said words to the affect of "Shouldn't you listen to what my daughter, the customer is saying? We are the ones paying for it and she is losing weight so what if it doesn't fit?" She again disagreed and brushed his concerns aside.

Well here it is several months later. I am yet another size smaller than I was when I originally tried on the sample dress and my dress has come in, in none other than a size 10 when I specifically requested a size 6. I called the store and asked what their alteration policy was. They told me it would be an outrageous amount to take the dress in. To me that isn't fair. I told them the size I wanted and their employee decided to order the size she thought I should have. SHE DIDN'T EVEN TAKE ANY ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS OF ME! I then asked what the refund policy was on the deposit. I asked that because I have read horror stories about their alterations and was not going to risk it especially when they are trying to charge for alterations that are needed because the employee ordered the wrong dress size. I was told that the deposit was non refundable because "all sales are final" Yet no where does it state on any paper work that the deposit is non refundable. Where I come from a deposit and a sale are 2 different things. Amy Rinnels, the owner, has been emailing with my father trying to resolve this and she said that when she talked to Kaitlin she was told that we didn't request a different size and that Katilin told her the size 10 dress looked "to tight" on me. My father told her that simply is not true as he and my stepmother as well as 3 other people saw me in the dress, it was clipped in the back and still lose especially in the bust. My father even agreed to pay a restocking fee but Amy refused it. So basically they will keep a dress that is unopened, never tried on and half way paid off and then charge full price for it so instead of refunding the deposit and selling the dress. Basically they will get $1299 for a dress with an $899.00 price tag on it since they are trying to keep the deposit. That is incredibly unscrupulous if you ask me.

I now have to find another dress as well as bridesmaid dresses. The only reason I gave 2 stars for responsiveness is because the owner has been decent in the fact that she does reply to my father however she is still unwilling to do the right thing by her customer. Her employee deliberately disregarded what was requested and used her own opinion and now that it is clear a mistake was made she lied through her teeth to her boss to cover up her mistake. I believe that there are good employees here, but it is really hit or miss. I am not the only one I know who has had crappy experiences with this store. I had faith in them as a returning customer. Believe me, that is not a mistake I will be making again.
Wedding: 06/10/2012
4.2/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  4.0
  • Professionalism:  4.0
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I really enjoyed my experience at Elegant Affair! If I had to change my fitting times or just have any questions at all, they were very helpful for me. I LOVED my dress and my bridesmaid's dresses. Everything turned out wonderful for me with their help! Thank You Elegant Affair ladies!
Wedding: 09/10/2011
0.5/5.0
  • Quality of Service:  0.5
  • Responsiveness:  0.5
  • Professionalism:  0.5
  • Value:  0.5
  • Flexibility:  0.5
I would not recommend this store for your bridesmaid dresses. We had nothing but problems from the employees forgetting to order the dresses, ordering the wrong sizes, and not writing down fitting appointments when they were made.

They were extremely rude and never apologized once for their errors.

The only person helpful at the store is the seamstress; and she does an amazing job.
Wedding: 06/11/2011

K 1 Reviews
Brides and future brides..all i have to say is run from this place. They pretty much RUINED my wedding and caused way too much stress. They had the poorest customer service possible. So, where to start. First off apparently no one has a clue how to properly measure people. Every single person had to have extreme alterations. One of my bridesmaids the told to get a size 3 and she said that didn't seem right so she got a 6. Then had to have her dress let out to the max and it was STILL too small. My father they measured him and 38 waist then ordered a 48 waist. He called them and said they need to fix it and they said no. He asked them he if was suppose to look like a clown on his wedding day and they told him to have fun. My husbands tux had to be overnighted the day of the wedding because it was WAY too small. My dresses were suppose to be in June before my sister left for CO for an internship and they didn't even bother to call me to tell me they weren't going to be. I had to call them and they had no idea where they were. A month later I got the bridesmaid dresses. Then they lady who did the alterations needs to just be fired. She did such a horrible job. All my bridesmaids had to come back AT LEAST 4 times. Then lets get to my dress. They charged me 50 to do this bushel and with in 10min of it tide after my wedding the stitches ripped out...ripping my dress. I had to drag my train around ever where and then have my aunt SAFETY PIN my dress back together. I was in tears. My one bridesmaid went in for her final alteration and the lady forgot to finishes hemming her dress. Then when she went to go pick up her dress and brought how she found out the day before that they had lost her panel, so he black bra had to show through. Finally, the girls working were just totally snotty and cold. I almost bought 40 earrings from them for my bridesmaids and she told me it made them look cheap. It was THEIR jewerly how rude...anyhow don't go there unless you want your wedding ruined. I am going in today to see what they are going to refund me for..which i know they won't.
Wedding: 08/29/2009
Services Used: Dress & Attire, Jewelry, Event Rentals & Photobooths

P 2 Reviews
HORRIBLE!!!! This was the worst experience ever! All my groomsmen and ushers had issues with their tuxes, and little to no alterations were done at the last minute. I called and called for a time or day when the tuxes were going to be in, received a call that they were in two days before the wedding. Lets just multiple items were overnight-ed! Also my father in laws pants were measured at a specific size and ordered 10" too big, and then was told to deal with it! Bridesmaids and my wife's dress were also disasters! Do not allow them to ruin your wedding!!!!
Wedding: 08/29/2009
4.4/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  4.5
  • Professionalism:  4.5
  • Flexibility:  4.0
I would recommend Amy's to any bride. I absolutely love the staff here. They are always ready to help you with a smile and after coming in a few times they always welcomed me by name. We got the brides dress, bridesmaids, flower girls dress and all the tuxs here. They were great to work with!
Wedding: 04/24/2009
  • Flexibility:  5.0
These girls are wonderful! I knew I was going to get my dress at Amy's because I had heard so much about them. I found my dress during a trunk show for Maggie Sotterro and ended up getting a free tiara as well along with the dress. They were always extremely nice when I would go in for fittings, and even if it wasn't for a fitting and just wanted to try on the dress again! They always remembered your name and treated you like you were their best friend. They really made the dress buying experience a wonderful one and I couldn't be happier! I also had two bridesmaids that were coming from out of town the Thursday before the wedding, and had to get them refitted right away, they got it done without a problem!
Wedding: 09/27/2008
  • Flexibility:  0.0
I am writing to share my horror, frustration, and disappointment in a situation with bridesmaid dresses purchased at An Elegant Affair by Amy in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I specifically chose the business because of the selection and styles and because of the kind and reassuring staff that advised me the dresses would arrive in plenty of time for my August 2, 2008 wedding. I live in a city of one million people and was looking forward to working with a small company, rather than a large corporation, that could give me a unique selection and an individual, personal experience. My choice could not have been more wrong. Regrettably, I will think twice before purchasing locally in my home state again. I did get a one of a kind experience, and I am writing in the hopes that no other bride or family will have to deal with the mess An Elegant Affair by Amy created.
First, the five bridesmaids were measured incredibly wrong by staff at An Elegant Affair by Amy, up to four inches wrong in some areas. When the dresses arrived the first week of June, only one dress fit. The dress that fit was the only bridesmaid that did not let the store measure her. The store re-ordered one dress when we brought this to their attention the following day. That was a size 10 that was supposed to fit a size 16 girl. The store did not reorder the size 4 and size 6, but said alterations could make the dresses fit a size 8 and a size 10. Before taking the dresses to the store the initial time, outside seamstresses said there was not enough material to make the dresses fit.
Another bridesmaid chose wisely not to deal with An Elegant Affair by Amy and had a local seamstress alter her dress which was three sizes off. Her final dress looked amazing. Her seamstress was very talented and used fabric from the hem to place where the dress was too small.
An Elegant Affair by Amy said the first alteration would take 4-5 days. We asked the dress to be mailed to the bridesmaid to save unnecessary trip to Cedar Falls, as everyone lives over an hour away, and up to three hours away. Needless to say after numerous phone calls the dress was never mailed. 20 days later, we finally had the newly altered dresses in our possession. After alterations the dresses were worse. The dresses puckered and rolled around the waist line. We returned for alterations the day after we received the even worse fitting dresses. The girls made another trip to Cedar Falls. The staff did not think the ill fitted dresses were a big deal. During this trip I made a statement that I felt we should be compensated for the mistakes with free alterations, including hemming. I was astounded at the reaction of the staff that I would expect alterations to be taken care of free of charge. Haven’t we paid enough with the inconveniences, time, and aggravation? I am, again, astonished at the lack of attention to detail, courtesy, and following through with orders.
During the first week of July the dresses were ready again. The dresses fit even worse than the first two times. One dress was torn, another fit so poorly that the top chiffon layer was shorter than the lining at the bottom. These dresses were un-wearable for my wedding that was a month away. At this point, we were receiving no apologies or reassurance that I would have dresses for my wedding party. During one conversation a store employer lost her temper with us. I gave the store plenty of chances to fix my dresses. I asked for my money back at different times during this fiasco, always being told the store was doing their best and money back was not an option. We found private seamstresses that would work on these dresses, although it was acknowledged there was no way to increase the sizes of each dress by four sizes. Just over three weeks until the wedding, we were done trusting the local retail store.
On July 15, I decided to plead my case one last time with the store. I wanted new dresses or dresses that fit. One dress that was due in on July 18, had been pushed back to July 23rd. I was at the point of cancelling the photographer because I did not want memories of horrible looking dresses or changing the wedding theme to match simple homemade dresses. During this debacle, I received a plethora of support from friends in my hometown. I had more individuals willing to make dresses than bridesmaids. Thank you Independence!
We spent $920.20 for a beautiful product, and we were left with atrocious dresses. At this point the store said they could take the dresses apart and add fabric and it could be done by the following Saturday. Why wasn’t this offered to us the first week of June? Late Sunday night, the store let me know that they could not finish what was supposed to be done a day earlier. Finally, Monday, July 21, I was given my money back in full for five bridesmaid dresses. There was no apology or explanation of the change. I was elated to be done with An Elegant Affair by Amy.
Eleven days before my wedding I rounded up bridesmaids and wonderful staff at David’s Bridal in Marion, Iowa helped me locate five beautiful dresses that fit each bridesmaid. Three of the five dresses did have to be overnighted from out of state stores, but the wedding will go on.
I will not recommend An Elegant Affair by Amy to any other brides or anyone else looking for a formal dress. In fact, I will tell you to run the other way. These are just the big issues we had to overcome when working with An Elegant Affair by Amy. The same supportive staff that I chose did not apologize or offer understanding at our frustration. A few kind words can make a big difference to a bride with eleven days until the wedding and still not a complete set of bridesmaid dresses.
I hope my experience is never replicated for another bride by An Elegant Affair by Amy.
Wedding: 08/02/2008
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Everything was very organized and they were able to meet all of my wishes. Always very friendly!
Wedding: 08/02/2008
0.9/5.0
  • Responsiveness:  0.5
  • Value:  3.0
  • Flexibility:  1.0
I would never recommend An Elegant Affair by Amy to ANYONE. After making an appointment we were rudely told to wait a few minutes 3 times (total of 45 minutes). Of course this is after they already ordered 4 of our bridesmaids dresses and took our money. When the dresses arrived the girls went in to try them on and get fitted. All 4 dresses were at least 2 sizes to small. It looked pretty obvious that the measurements had been taken incorrectly considering they were ALL wrong. I figured they would reorder and everything would be fine... WRONG. Instead they said they didn't think they fit that bad and could alter them for us.

A month before my wedding again we went back in to try on the altered dresses. HORRIBLE. One of the girls underwear was showing by a puckered/ripped zipper seam. Another one was not at all comfortable because it was too tight so asked to get it altered again. I simply asked if these alterations were going to be discounted because of their mistake and got a very rude unprofessional response. Saying we would have to reorder a couple dresses and pay for them AGAIN. I then asked for my money back on all the dresses and we would go somewhere else. They would not give any refund and didn't help fix THEIR mistake at all.

I really hope this never has happened to anyone else here and never happens to anyone in the future.

I didn't let An elegant affair by amy ruin my wedding, but she took a lot of money from my bridesmaids and me and added TONS of unneeded stress. Please think twice about going here.
Wedding: 07/05/2008
 319-277-5655
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire