All Faiths Ceremonies by Dr. Sheila Gay Gross
All Faiths, Traditions, and Orientations
104 Panorama Drive
Edgewater, NJ 07020  | map
Services: Civil Union, Interfaith Ceremony, Non-religious...
Religious affliliations: Buddhist, Christian (no denomination), Christian -...

Profile   Reviews (139)   Photos   FAQ   Map
Quality of Service:
Responsiveness:
Professionalism:
Value:
Flexibility:

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila was truly a joy to work with from the beginning. I must admit I had my doubt hiring an officiant whom I never met for my wedding but from the very first meeting, I knew she was different. She took the time to get to know us as a couple and everything about our relationship from where we first met, how we fell in love, how we feel about each other, etc...The first meeting lasted I believe close to 3 hours but it didn't seem long because we were able to engage in such a genuine, heartfelt conversation and she knew how to incorporate certain details from our dating history into a personalized ceremony created just for us. On the day of the wedding she was right there to calm our nerves, to walk us through the ceremony, and when it happened, everything was so magical and our guests were truly engaged in our ceremony. It definitely wasn't boring and it reflected who we truly are as a couple. We're so happy that we had Sheila as our officiant because we could tell that Sheila wasn't just there to perform the ceremony but she really cared about getting to know us as a couple and also creating a ceremony that really meant close to who we are as a couple. It was definitely an experience neither we or our guests will ever forget.
Wedding: 01/12/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Some of the first things Sheila asked us where “How do you want to feel?” and “How do you want your guests to feel?” We told Sheila “Married!” and “Warm and Fuzzy.” That’s exactly what everyone felt by the end of our ceremony. Sheila worked with us face to face and via conference call, and really got to know and understand our dynamic as a couple, and that came through in every moment of our Winter Solstice wedding. She designed a unique experience including blessings from many cultural traditions, a hand washing ceremony including personalized touches made by our Moms, blessing of our hands, and even encouraged us to write and speak our own vows, supporting us every step of the way. All night, family and friends remarked to us on the warm, personal, and very charming ceremony in which everyone felt that they were our “angels” and played an important role in joining our lives together. One of my favorite comments from a dear friend was “It was the most personal wedding I’ve ever been to- she was telling your story!” Sheila gave us what she promised: we felt truly “married”, our guests felt part of a beautiful moment in our lives, and somehow, without ever using the word “God” (by our request) a spiritual, agnostic bride, and her scientific, atheist groom, were as happy and touched as our old school (and old country) Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox families. We thank Sheila for working her magic to make our night so amazing! -Desireé and John
Wedding: 12/21/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My husband and I happened upon Sheila through njofficiants.com -- we were looking for an officiant to perform our wedding ceremony one month later. I was apprehensive about working with a stranger, but my rabbi refused to do interfaith marriages so we ventured out. Before Sheila even met us, I received a beautiful and thoughtful email from her, read some reviews of her work online, and knew we found the right person.

We only had time to meet Sheila once before the wedding, but she really put time in with us, asked us all the right questions about our families, our relationship, and got us to describe our love to each other in a way we hadn't done before -- and we're very vocal about our feelings for one another already!

Since our wedding was a surprise wedding, we asked Sheila to show up in the middle of our engagement party and blend in with the crowd before the night turned into our wedding. She fit right in, and even stood up to some pretty intense interrogation from some of my mom's friends wondering who this mystery woman was!

In the end, the ceremony was beautiful, intensely personal, and very well crafted. Sheila wove all the stories we told her about each other and my father who passed away (without it being too sad). She gave us room to write our own vows, to integrate short speeches into the ceremony from close friends and family, and -- the best part -- brought all of our guests into the ceremony so it felt like they were a part of it with us, not bystanders to "our" experience.

She also makes herself available to you and your family anytime, and checks in regularly to see how things are proceeding.

I've received tons of feedback on how wonderful the ceremony was and how unique it was. If you're looking for someone who can truly make your wedding ceremony special, central to your day, and truly, uniquely about the two of you, then I can recommend Sheila without reservation.
Wedding: 12/08/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Let me begin by saying that Sheila is one of the most amazing people we have ever had the privilege of knowing. Everything she describes on her web-page is spot on - she will create for you the most creative, personal, and yes, magical wedding ceremony you could ever imagine. It will truly be the wedding of your dreams.

From the first moment we found her, Sheila was so warm, welcoming, and caring. She was always willing to talk, listen, and give advice when asked. My wife and I had just gotten engaged a couple of months earlier, and as an interfaith couple, we were already starting to encounter many difficult issues, primarily within my family (I'm Jewish). I wrote to her about how I was skeptical of our ability to have a meaningful ceremony that could be comfortable for all parties involved. She quickly reassured me that it was possible to have something special and overcome the challenges at hand - and that she was the one to help us make this happen! What she created for us over the next year ultimately turned into the most memorable 40 minutes of our lives.

The ceremony was unbelievable - filled with love, emotion, and happiness. She was able to help us integrate traditions from each of our backgrounds in subtle and respectful ways, just as we wanted. As all guests were included in the proceedings, the intimacy in the room was palpable. Following our wedding, all of our family and friends raved about how unique, touching, and personal the ceremony was, and that it set the tone for the entire event. We never could have imagined our wedding ceremony to be so spectacular in every way.

Sheila will not only be your officiant, she will be your confidant, your guide, and your good friend. She is an angel on this earth and will forever hold a very special place in our hearts. We can't thank her enough for making our wedding truly unforgettable.

Love,
Micah and Jenna
Wedding: 11/17/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
If I could give a rating more than a 5 stars I would! When I found Sheila, we made an appointment to sit down with her and go over everything that we wanted in the ceremony. I obviously loved my then fiancé when we went into Sheila’s home and I left that night knowing that I was making the right decision to marry him. I loved him more after then I did walking in. Sheila got our relationship with such little time and nailed our love on the head. She walked through our whole relationship bringing back the butterflies of when we first met to our current day deep love that we share. While sitting down with Sheila we went over what she would want to say about us in the ceremony and just from the top of her head she made me cry. The love that filled my heart that night was just amazing. Sheila is worth the earth weight in gold. The owners of the catering hall attended our wedding and pulled me aside after the wedding and admitted to crying during our ceremony. That alone speaks volumes of how valuable Sheila is. At the end of our ceremony before my husband and I kissed she asked everyone in attendance to join in and pronounce us man and wife. My family was touched by this moment and will always remember that they took part in our wedding. If you want to have a magical ceremony that everyone will remember and truly reveals the love that you two share Sheila is your woman!
Wedding: 10/20/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
From the first moment we met Sheila I knew we didn't need to look any further. Sheila immediately embraced us both as individuals as well as a couple. She "got us," and within the first 30 minutes was able to put our story together. Everything with Sheila is custom made. I am Jewish and my husband is Irish Catholic. We wanted a non traditional ceremony where we would incorporate values and traditions from each of our backgrounds. Sheila had so many ideas and each idea was better than the next.

Whether is was 9am or 12midnight, Sheila was always responding to our questions and concerns about any and everything.

2 days before our wedding, my husband called asking for assistance with his vows- Sheila thought nothing then to drop what she was doing and help!

Both my husband and I cannot imagine what our wedding would have been like without Sheila. We know that Sheila is someone we will continue to have a relationship with for the rest of our lives.

-the Fallon's
Wedding: 09/02/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila was the best thing I could have asked for as an officiant on my wedding day. When I first approached Sheila, she didn't think she would be able to attend our wedding because of a wedding she had scheduled the following day in upstate NY (our wedding was in Philadelphia). After she checked with the other bride, Sheila made the decision to subject herself to horrendous travel (on labor day weekend!) just to be a part of our wedding and I couldn't be more grateful.

My husband and I went to Sheila with a loose idea for a ceremony and she turned it into a celebration of our love for one another. Sheila incorporated aspects of both of our religions, satisfied parent requests and last minute changes with grace and poise. She helped coach our friends who spoke at our ceremony so that they felt truly confident and comfortable speaking in front of over 180 guests.

Family and friends have been raving about our ceremony (and Sheila) saying it was the best wedding ceremony they've ever seen. We are so happy she was a part of our day and will forever be a part of those memories. Sheila truly has a gift for getting to know a couple just through meeting them a few times. She takes that knowledge and creates something unique for them. Everyone in attendance could feel our energy through the ceremony, which made it so special.
Wedding: 09/01/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The greatest compliments we received on our wedding were about the ceremony. Sheila composed such a warm, loving, tribute to our relationship. It was uniquely us.

I am Hindu by birth, and my wife is Catholic. Our lifestyle is far from orthodox, but we wanted to incorporate Hindu and Catholic traditions to honor our families and our upbringing. My wife and I had no idea how to create this hybrid ceremony. Thankfully, Sheila came to our rescue.

Sheila put our minds at ease when we met with her. Her experience and confidence showed through while offering solutions to all of our concerns. Before that meeting the planning process was just tasks on a to-do list, but after we met with her everything started to become real. It was the first time my wife and I were able to envision our wedding day.

Sheila stayed in constant contact throughout. The weekend of our wedding she was gracious enough to drive 2 hours for our ceremony near Philadelphia, despite having to go back for another wedding the next night. Sheila delighted both of our families by weaving our two cultures together seamlessly. We are so grateful to have found her.

Thank you Sheila, we love you!
Wedding: 09/01/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Thank you Sheila for creating a memorable ceremony for me and my husband. Your words are beautifully written and filled with meaning and symbolism. Thank you for bringing sincerity to the word "marriage". We were both very surprised with the stories you told about us, but were soo grateful at the same time that our stories were shared among our friends and families. I highly recommend Sheila! She's sincere, thoughtful, and caring.

Wedding: 07/29/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
I am so glad my husband and I opted to work with Sheila, as she helped us create a ceremony that truly reflected us, our beliefs, and our relationship.

There are so many positive things to say about working with Sheila. First, I really felt like she took the time to get to know me and my husband before beginning to suggest ideas for our ceremony. She invited us over to her home where she asked us questions about how we met, what we like about each others, our plans for the future, and our families. She also made sure she really understood what we wanted our ceremony to be like. Sheila suggested some amazing ideas for our ceremony that incorporated our two distinct culturues and our beliefs while really capturing our love for each other. Her ideas were so great and so sentimental that she made me cry during our initial meeting!

Sheila is also amazingly flexible and responsive. She not only helped us create our dream ceremony down to the detail, but she was also available whenever we needed her help to work through issues such as acquiring our marriage license and writing our vows.

After the wedding (which was extremely sentimental and made both my husband and I teary eyed for its duration), many of my guests told me that our ceremony was the most moving ceremony they had ever seen. I had a guest describe the ceremony as "wonderful and uniquely you."

The only potential drawback I can even think of with regards to using Sheila as an officiant is that she's a bit more expensive than other officiants I spoke with; however, I would strongly urge you not to select an officiant based on price alone. I assure you that Sheila's price is an extremely good value based on the service and attention she provides. (I didn't get the sense that the other officiants I spoke with were going to take the time to get to know me and my husband in the way that Sheila did, or were willing to create a unique and personalized ceremony for us.)

I highly recommend Sheila!
Wedding: 07/28/2012

Teri 1 Reviews
Sheila married us in September of 2010. The ceremony was fun, interactive, and designed specifically for us. When our son, Preston, arrived we wanted to have some type of symbolic Baby Blessing ceremony to welcome him and celebrate our love for our first child. Without hesitation, we knew Sheila was exactly who we wanted. She created a beautiful, emotional, and warm ceremony that included us reading a "love letter" to Preston and asking all of our friends and family to provide Preston with their own "wish" for him. We do not identify with any type of organized religion, so this ceremony served as the symbolic event we desired. My husband and I consider Sheila a friend and she somehow knows exactly what you are looking for without you having to say it. Thank you, Sheila! xoxo
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila did such a wonderful job officiating our wedding. I had several guests approach me afterwards to say, "that was the most beautiful ceremony I've ever seen." My husband and I are not religious people. We wanted a brief but personal ceremony. Sheila really captured our love and our relationship. She is creative and spiritual in just the right way. She also incorporated our loved ones in a very special and appropriate way. The ceremony far exceeded our expectations.
Wedding: 07/08/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila, was absolutely amazing from our very first meeting. Now you would think that our first meeting was for our wedding, but it wasn't !
I met Sheila 3 weddings before my own. I watched her Marry some of my very best friends. Each and every time she moved me with her amazing ability to conduct the perfect ceremony, and making each time unique and special. It was as if she knew them as well as I.
When I became engaged I immediately thought of Sheila, and couldn't wait to give her the news. Jokingly, I told her she had to Marry me since the last time we met she said, " You are next !" She happily agreed, and so began our Journey with Sheila guiding us every step of the way.
Sheila, took the time to get to know us, our story, and what we envisioned for our special day. She helped us build the ceremony to include the memories and persons most important to us. When the Day finally came we felt so comfortable and reassured because she was there. Sheila helped our day come fruition, and it was everything we hoped for and more.
It doesn't end there. After the Wedding, Sheila followed up to congratulate us and to make sure we knew what our next steps were in regards to obtaining our Marriage Certificate. She simply is amazing with every sense of the word ! If you want a unique ceremony and someone who is warm, kind, and can lead the way... look no further.
Thank you Sheila for helping to make Xavier and I's Wedding Day and unforgettable experience.

Warmly,

Mrs. Bridgette M. Vital
Wedding: 06/24/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
To borrow a phrase from my mother, our wedding was "perfect". We have Sheila to thank for making it so. She made our wedding an intimate, personal family celebration. She was remarkably skilled at getting to the core of our relationship as a couple and incorporating this into the wedding ceremony. She promised a special day and she delivered. If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to have Sheila for your wedding service you will not be disappointed.
Wedding: 06/16/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
From the first moment my now husband and I met Sheila we knew we wanted her to marry us. She was so personable and warm towards us. We felt very comfortable speaking with her both times we met in person. She always got back to me very quickly either by phone or email. The ceremony was exactly what we asked for. Everyone loved it and commented on how unique and wonderful it was and of course how great Sheila was. We would recommend her to anyone and everyone!
Wedding: 06/16/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
What can I say other than that Sheila will forever have a special place in my heart. She started out as my saving grace and grew into someone I hold dear to me. Getting along with her is effortless and with a few conversations, she was able to grasp the essence of my now husband and myself. The ceremony she prepared for us was absolutely beautiful. Not only did it depict our (my husband's and my) relationship, but it also shared the love and true passion we have for one another with our family and friends. Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the room and til this day, our guests are complimenting the ceremony. I wouldn't have picked anyone other than Sheila and I feel truly blessed to have had the honor of having her officiate our wedding!
Wedding: 06/09/2012
 201-886-3007
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire