All Faiths Ceremonies by Dr. Sheila Gay Gross
All Faiths, Traditions, and Orientations
104 Panorama Drive
Edgewater, NJ 07020  | map
Services: Civil Union, Interfaith Ceremony, Non-religious...
Religious affliliations: Buddhist, Christian (no denomination), Christian -...

Profile   Reviews (148)   Photos   FAQ   Map
Quality of Service:
Responsiveness:
Professionalism:
Value:
Flexibility:

Sort By:

• Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila was very pleasant to work with from the start. She took a lot of time to get to know us and hear how we met and what we mean to each other. We booked her well over a year before our wedding and she communicated with us often. She even checked in with us after hurricane Sandy to see how we were. When she was going to be away for a few weeks she informed us in case we had any questions or needed her. Sheila also helped with some other wedding planning questions we had that were separate from the ceromony. She helped us choose our vows. The one thing I had no stress about was our ceremony. I knew it would be how we wanted it and Sheila was organized and emailed me back to answer my questions the same day. Sheila provided us with a unique, personalized ceremony. It was amazing and all about our love story. We received several comments about the ceremony and how personal and touching it was. Sheila was the most easy vendor to work with and we received so many compliments about our ceremony. She incorporated many unique ideas into the ceremony and we couldn't be happier!
Wedding: 06/08/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My wife made the initial phone call to see if Sheila was booked for our date!! She spent an hour on the phone w her and then a few days later we went to meet w her. We were there for hours while we were telling her about us and our story of how we met. She took time taking notes, asking questions, etc!! She is spiritual and quirky and full of life and we knew the minute we got in the car that there was nothing about her that was "normal" or the average run of the mill officiant and we had to have her!! We were confident this wasnt gonna be the ceremony that our names got fumbled our something was gonna go wrong and boy we couldn't have been more correct!! She was extraordinary!! The way she put the entire ceremony together was amazing and we couldn't have asked for more to make our day even more special than we expected it to be. I have friends who keep telling me that they want to renew their vows just because it was sooo amazing and soo personal and so about us that they want that for themselves!! There aren't nearly enough words to express our gratitude to what an amazing ceremony and blessing on our marriage she gave us!! If your even thinking about using Sheila, there shouldnt b a thought. JUST DO IT!!
Danielle and Mindi
Wedding: 05/25/2013

Anonymous 1 Reviews
The most important part of our wedding was the ceremony. Because we come from two different backgrounds, we wanted it to appeal to both of our families and highlight our own individuality as well.

We visited with Sheila a few times during which she asked us to tell her about the journey of our relationship from how we first met to the evening we became engaged. She made us feel amazingly comfortable and like we were in the company of a friend.

The ceremony she prepared for us exceeded our already high expectations. She told our love story in a way that kept our guests captivated and allowed them to play a very important role. All of our friends and family can't stop saying how it was the most uniquely memorable wedding experience they've ever had.

For us, it was perfect!!!

Court & Mike
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Simply stated, Sheila was nothing short of wonderful. From our first phone conversation Sheila was warm and enthusiastic about creating a truly unique ceremony for our big day. She took her time to get to really get to know us, and what was important to us an integrated it beautifully into the ceremony. She had lots of wonderful ideas and was sure to be sensitive to any traditions and preferences we had. Sheila always responded promptly and made herself available if we had questions or concerns. and even reached out to us on several occasions, just to see how we were holding up during the planning. After meeting with Shelia and designing our ceremony, we were genuinely excited about our wedding ceremony, and not just the party that comes after. Everything turned out beautifully, and we received lots of feedback from guests who said it was much different than any ceremony they'd ever been to before, and how much they enjoyed it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sheila!
Wedding: 04/06/2013

Private User 4 Reviews
It is 3 months, to the day, that Sheila married us. I've tried to find a way to "rate" Sheila's services; but could never truly capture what we felt. To us, this was not a service, it was a gift. A memory that we (and our families) will hold deep in our hearts forever. That is more than I could have ever asked for. Yes, we technically did pay for her services, but what she gave us was worth every penny. I felt an instant connection with her. Warm, funny, kind. She is an old soul that, somehow, knew exactly what we needed. We did not want a big "to-do", but our families are important to us. We decided to get married with 5 weeks notice. Frantically, I posted explaining the situation. Sheila answered. I was very specific in explaining just how shy both my husband and I are about all that "love stuff". While we felt it, we were private about it. She promised we would find a way to have "our" ceremony but not feel like we were 'on display'. Somehow, I knew we could trust her. She had a way of taking all our fears, scooping us up and letting us know we were safe with her. Getting married wasn't what scared us. It was doing something so sacred in front of everyone that terrified us. She spoke with us for hours, on the phone and again in person. I warned her my husband might be open to all this "lovey stuff" but he jumped in, feet first and agreed to all of it. When I asked him why he was so into it, when he wasn't before, he said "because she knows what she is doing. She 'gets' us.". He was 100% right. Sheila told our story, with humor and grace. She helped include our irish heritage to include an irish goblet wine ceremony. The vows she helped us find were perfect. I think of them all the time. There are some people in this world that you are meant to meet. I am sure that Sheila is one of them. 3 months later and my family still talks about her and the ceremony saying it's "the best we've been to", "we loved your love story". Sheila is amazing!
Wedding: 1+ year ago
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila was a pleasure to work with!!! People asked if she was someone I've known for years!!! The ceremony was the most unique special ceremony I'd had ever seen. It was everything I wanted and more. For anyone who wants a ceremony having people walk away saying it was the best ceremony look no further... We love you Sheila!!!!!!!!
Wedding: 03/29/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila was absolutely fantastic from start to finish! She was so attentive, a great listener, empathetic and always made us feel special and cherished. Our guests have showered us with compliments on our ceremony...going on and on about how beautiful and full of love Sheila made it. She put us both at ease and really made our wedding day something to remember forever!
Wedding: 03/24/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
After four months of not enjoying the wedding planning process, my husband and I decided to cancel our original wedding date set for August and instead set a date two weeks away, in March. I emailed a few officiants with my now rush request. Sheila was the first to respond (she emailed me back within the hour) and I knew after our first email that she had to be our officiant. We had family and friends flying in last minute from all over the country to be with us on our special day and I wanted the ceremony to be personal and intimate. Sheila made sure that happened. She was very flexible with our schedule and made us feel so comfortable that we really didn't worry about the ceremony at all. She added personal touches and stories that really felt like 'us'. We've had so many friends and family members tell us it was the best ceremony they've ever witnessed and there were both moments of laughter and tears. We both feel truly blessed that Sheila was able to share our special day with us. I would highly recommend her. THANK YOU SHEILA!
Wedding: 03/03/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila transformed all the details we provided into a wonderful, truly unique and special ceremony.
She was able to totally capture “us” and our chemistry.
Nothing about it ever felt manufactured or random.
Every part of the process – from the first phone call to our personal meeting until the big day was a wonderful,
easy, lighthearted, very personal though professional & caring experience.
Amazing also how Sheila included our family and friends into the ceremony and made them feel to be
a special part of it and still left room for spontaneity.
Wunderbar!!!
THANK YOU, Sheila!
Love,
Katharina&Paul
Wedding: 03/01/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Sheila was truly a joy to work with from the beginning. I must admit I had my doubt hiring an officiant whom I never met for my wedding but from the very first meeting, I knew she was different. She took the time to get to know us as a couple and everything about our relationship from where we first met, how we fell in love, how we feel about each other, etc...The first meeting lasted I believe close to 3 hours but it didn't seem long because we were able to engage in such a genuine, heartfelt conversation and she knew how to incorporate certain details from our dating history into a personalized ceremony created just for us. On the day of the wedding she was right there to calm our nerves, to walk us through the ceremony, and when it happened, everything was so magical and our guests were truly engaged in our ceremony. It definitely wasn't boring and it reflected who we truly are as a couple. We're so happy that we had Sheila as our officiant because we could tell that Sheila wasn't just there to perform the ceremony but she really cared about getting to know us as a couple and also creating a ceremony that really meant close to who we are as a couple. It was definitely an experience neither we or our guests will ever forget.
Wedding: 01/12/2013
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Some of the first things Sheila asked us where “How do you want to feel?” and “How do you want your guests to feel?” We told Sheila “Married!” and “Warm and Fuzzy.” That’s exactly what everyone felt by the end of our ceremony. Sheila worked with us face to face and via conference call, and really got to know and understand our dynamic as a couple, and that came through in every moment of our Winter Solstice wedding. She designed a unique experience including blessings from many cultural traditions, a hand washing ceremony including personalized touches made by our Moms, blessing of our hands, and even encouraged us to write and speak our own vows, supporting us every step of the way. All night, family and friends remarked to us on the warm, personal, and very charming ceremony in which everyone felt that they were our “angels” and played an important role in joining our lives together. One of my favorite comments from a dear friend was “It was the most personal wedding I’ve ever been to- she was telling your story!” Sheila gave us what she promised: we felt truly “married”, our guests felt part of a beautiful moment in our lives, and somehow, without ever using the word “God” (by our request) a spiritual, agnostic bride, and her scientific, atheist groom, were as happy and touched as our old school (and old country) Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox families. We thank Sheila for working her magic to make our night so amazing! -Desireé and John
Wedding: 12/21/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
My husband and I happened upon Sheila through njofficiants.com -- we were looking for an officiant to perform our wedding ceremony one month later. I was apprehensive about working with a stranger, but my rabbi refused to do interfaith marriages so we ventured out. Before Sheila even met us, I received a beautiful and thoughtful email from her, read some reviews of her work online, and knew we found the right person.

We only had time to meet Sheila once before the wedding, but she really put time in with us, asked us all the right questions about our families, our relationship, and got us to describe our love to each other in a way we hadn't done before -- and we're very vocal about our feelings for one another already!

Since our wedding was a surprise wedding, we asked Sheila to show up in the middle of our engagement party and blend in with the crowd before the night turned into our wedding. She fit right in, and even stood up to some pretty intense interrogation from some of my mom's friends wondering who this mystery woman was!

In the end, the ceremony was beautiful, intensely personal, and very well crafted. Sheila wove all the stories we told her about each other and my father who passed away (without it being too sad). She gave us room to write our own vows, to integrate short speeches into the ceremony from close friends and family, and -- the best part -- brought all of our guests into the ceremony so it felt like they were a part of it with us, not bystanders to "our" experience.

She also makes herself available to you and your family anytime, and checks in regularly to see how things are proceeding.

I've received tons of feedback on how wonderful the ceremony was and how unique it was. If you're looking for someone who can truly make your wedding ceremony special, central to your day, and truly, uniquely about the two of you, then I can recommend Sheila without reservation.
Wedding: 12/08/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
Let me begin by saying that Sheila is one of the most amazing people we have ever had the privilege of knowing. Everything she describes on her web-page is spot on - she will create for you the most creative, personal, and yes, magical wedding ceremony you could ever imagine. It will truly be the wedding of your dreams.

From the first moment we found her, Sheila was so warm, welcoming, and caring. She was always willing to talk, listen, and give advice when asked. My wife and I had just gotten engaged a couple of months earlier, and as an interfaith couple, we were already starting to encounter many difficult issues, primarily within my family (I'm Jewish). I wrote to her about how I was skeptical of our ability to have a meaningful ceremony that could be comfortable for all parties involved. She quickly reassured me that it was possible to have something special and overcome the challenges at hand - and that she was the one to help us make this happen! What she created for us over the next year ultimately turned into the most memorable 40 minutes of our lives.

The ceremony was unbelievable - filled with love, emotion, and happiness. She was able to help us integrate traditions from each of our backgrounds in subtle and respectful ways, just as we wanted. As all guests were included in the proceedings, the intimacy in the room was palpable. Following our wedding, all of our family and friends raved about how unique, touching, and personal the ceremony was, and that it set the tone for the entire event. We never could have imagined our wedding ceremony to be so spectacular in every way.

Sheila will not only be your officiant, she will be your confidant, your guide, and your good friend. She is an angel on this earth and will forever hold a very special place in our hearts. We can't thank her enough for making our wedding truly unforgettable.

Love,
Micah and Jenna
Wedding: 11/17/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
If I could give a rating more than a 5 stars I would! When I found Sheila, we made an appointment to sit down with her and go over everything that we wanted in the ceremony. I obviously loved my then fiancé when we went into Sheila’s home and I left that night knowing that I was making the right decision to marry him. I loved him more after then I did walking in. Sheila got our relationship with such little time and nailed our love on the head. She walked through our whole relationship bringing back the butterflies of when we first met to our current day deep love that we share. While sitting down with Sheila we went over what she would want to say about us in the ceremony and just from the top of her head she made me cry. The love that filled my heart that night was just amazing. Sheila is worth the earth weight in gold. The owners of the catering hall attended our wedding and pulled me aside after the wedding and admitted to crying during our ceremony. That alone speaks volumes of how valuable Sheila is. At the end of our ceremony before my husband and I kissed she asked everyone in attendance to join in and pronounce us man and wife. My family was touched by this moment and will always remember that they took part in our wedding. If you want to have a magical ceremony that everyone will remember and truly reveals the love that you two share Sheila is your woman!
Wedding: 10/20/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
From the first moment we met Sheila I knew we didn't need to look any further. Sheila immediately embraced us both as individuals as well as a couple. She "got us," and within the first 30 minutes was able to put our story together. Everything with Sheila is custom made. I am Jewish and my husband is Irish Catholic. We wanted a non traditional ceremony where we would incorporate values and traditions from each of our backgrounds. Sheila had so many ideas and each idea was better than the next.

Whether is was 9am or 12midnight, Sheila was always responding to our questions and concerns about any and everything.

2 days before our wedding, my husband called asking for assistance with his vows- Sheila thought nothing then to drop what she was doing and help!

Both my husband and I cannot imagine what our wedding would have been like without Sheila. We know that Sheila is someone we will continue to have a relationship with for the rest of our lives.

-the Fallon's
Wedding: 09/02/2012
  • Flexibility:  5.0
The greatest compliments we received on our wedding were about the ceremony. Sheila composed such a warm, loving, tribute to our relationship. It was uniquely us.

I am Hindu by birth, and my wife is Catholic. Our lifestyle is far from orthodox, but we wanted to incorporate Hindu and Catholic traditions to honor our families and our upbringing. My wife and I had no idea how to create this hybrid ceremony. Thankfully, Sheila came to our rescue.

Sheila put our minds at ease when we met with her. Her experience and confidence showed through while offering solutions to all of our concerns. Before that meeting the planning process was just tasks on a to-do list, but after we met with her everything started to become real. It was the first time my wife and I were able to envision our wedding day.

Sheila stayed in constant contact throughout. The weekend of our wedding she was gracious enough to drive 2 hours for our ceremony near Philadelphia, despite having to go back for another wedding the next night. Sheila delighted both of our families by weaving our two cultures together seamlessly. We are so grateful to have found her.

Thank you Sheila, we love you!
Wedding: 09/01/2012
 201-886-3007
Please let this vendor know
you found them on WeddingWire