Whether you’re flying across the globe or just a few hours away, traveling with your wedding attire is no easy task. The most challenging item to travel with is unsurprisingly one of the most important items you’ll take with you: the dress. Whether it’s a sheath style dress or a ball gown, traveling with your wedding dress can be nerve-racking. Before you leave for the airport, consider our tips.
Photo courtesy of Amanda Blythe Photography
1. Put your dress in a garment bag. A garment bag will keep dirt, dust and anything else from staining your dress and it also makes it easy to carry. Most airlines require wedding gowns to be in garment bags if they are carried on to the plane.
2. Call your airline ahead of time. Call the airline ahead of time to find out their policies on taking a wedding dress on the plane. Some planes have closets which they allow brides to store their dresses in, while other airlines may require you to put your dress in the overhead compartment. Whether they have closets or not, if you call ahead you’ll know what to expect when you get on board.
3. Don’t ship your dress. Although shipping your dress may seem like the best option, it’s not. Many brides ship their gowns to the wedding destination, which is a huge mistake. It’s likely the dress will get stuck in customs and no one wants to be without a dress come wedding day. Rather than ship it, take it with you and bring it on the plane to avoid it getting lost in customs or at the baggage claim.
4. Bring a handheld steamer. Although your resort may have a steamer you can use, bring your own in case you aren’t sure one will be available. The steamer can help you get out any wrinkles from the flight.
5. Make an emergency kit. Pack an emergency kit in case something does happen to your dress. Bring baby powder to cover a pesky stain that won’t come out, a needle and white or cream thread and some pins, just in case there’s a fashion emergency.
DestinationWeddings.com has planned over 13,000 successful destination weddings all over the globe. Our certified specialists are with our couples from destination search all the way to "i do", providing service and expertise second to none. Visit our website to learn more about planning a destination wedding.