Continued from last week’s post, here are my remaining five winter trends:
6. Crystal Favors: Add some seasonal sparkle to thank your guests with crystal inspired favors. Last weekend we catered a wedding with these winter crystal snowflakes as favors. The bride tied a shimmery iridescent blue ribbon to each snowflake and they were placed at each table setting. They caught the light luxuriously and were just stunning. I thought that they would also look lovely displayed on a large branch centerpiece on the place card table, or hanging from a branch centerpiece on the guest tables. Another great crystal favor we have catered with was a crystal wine bottle stopper- a very elegant choice.
7. Lighting: Though not directly a sparkly element…lighting is key to elevating the shimmer quotient at your reception or ceremony. Crystal facets crave light to create their prism of sparkle. Properly placed up-lighting, candlelight or gocco lights can make everything in the room achieve its full sparkle potential. Even your china, flatware and glassware will sparkle with the right lighting!
8. Table Linens: I am personally a BIG believer in specialty linens as they can truly create the drama and set the visual tone for all the other reception decor to play from. And let me tell you– today there are more sparkle options in the realm of linens than ever before. At a recent trade show for my industry I had diamonds in my eyes as I took in all of the amazing linen displays! My favorite affordable provider that will rent direct to brides or corporate clients alike is: ChairCovers and Linens. Their customer service is the best. For even more amazing selections with a little heftier price tag, visit Wildflower Linen and Over The Top.
9. Organic Elements: Natural, organic elements have been hot trends in other seasons this year, and can be morphed to fit the bill in Winter as well. Take your cues from home decor sites for inspiration. These shimmering silver metallic pine cones from Pottery Barn would be a great DIY project or can be purchased here.
Photo Courtesy of Potterybarn
One of my favorite winter organics, sparkly sugared fruits or organic flowers can be used as centerpiece accents, or as wedding cake garnish. Smaller sized sugared fruits like mini pears, kumquats, crab apples and grapes could also be used individually to garnish dessert plates, or wedding cake slices when served. Easily made yourself with superfine, double sifted sugar and meringue powder, or purchased here.
10. The Wedding Cake: There is a host of ways that winter sparkle can be carried through your decor scheme to your cake that I saved this for last. One of my top favorites for shimmer is blinging the wedding cake! From a sugared cake utilizing Confectioners Sugar size AA over buttercream, to edible shimmer luster that can be applied to fondant for amazing shimmer factor, a sparkly cake starts with a sparkling base coat.
From there the sky is the limit this season for cake crystal. Crystal monogram toppers abound at sites such as WMI Design in a variety of styles and garnishes. Crystal food safe cake accents ranging from sparkling snowflakes to crystallized drop toppers amaze from companies like Expressions by Bel Aire.
Well…that concludes my top ten “Winter Shimmer and Sparkle” list. I hope you have found some seasonal inspiration there to bring shimmer to your winter reception. Feel free to add links to your favorite crystal products or trends below in the comment section– I would love to check them out!