Raquel & Gerard
Charleston, South Carolina
Q & A with the Bride:
1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know it was the one?
My husband, then fiance, loved it! We had looked at dozens of venues, but his face absolutely lit up as we pulled onto the property. I know that the wedding day is supposed to be about the bride, but I wanted to be sure his voice was heard in some of the details as well.
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. Before the guests arrived, I had the opportunity to see the ceremony space, and I was blown away. The ceremony was outside on a small, wooded island. While it was naturally beautiful, I wanted to soften the space. My planner, Kala, not only met my expectations, she exceeded them! White details, delicate floral accents, a wooden altar draped with sheer fabric – etheral, simple, elegant! It was a beautiful and powerful reminder that although our wedding was not in a church, it was, no less, a spiritual occasion.
2. The music! Music can make or break any event, especially a wedding. But, being an intercultural union (I’m from southern Virginia, and he’s from Trinidad and Tobago), we were both concerned that the music would not translate well between our two sides. Fortunately, my husband called in a favor from a DJ friend and his knowledge of Caribbean and American music was mixed to perfection. Everyone danced the evening away!
3. The dinner tables were another one of those details where I had this vision in my head. I wanted the linens and place settings to be formal since it was wedding, yet the flowers to have a more natural, deconstructed feel. And while I wanted eveything to flow, I didn’t want identical floral reproductions, or overly matchy-matchy. As a greeted my guests at their seats, I was delighted that each centerpiece was unique!
3. Give us the one moment from your wedding that you can’t stop thinking about.
Walking down the aisle towards my husband was the BEST MOMENT of my life. Knowing how much I loved and was loved. Feeling so blessed that the most important decision of my life had also been the easiest. Knowing this was only the beginning our journey. I experienced so many strong emotions in such a short span, I am constantly reflecting upon them.