Operation Paper Crane Progress Report: 60% (162 purple, 134 turquoise, 158 white and 147 charcoal =601 cranes!)
Garden, I have put it off long enough. Who’s ready to talk dresses????
I feel like I should be calling this post “How Nothing Went The Way I Planned, Part 1” because for both the dresses for the princesses and my dress, I thought we were going to do one thing with the dresses and we ended up doing something fairly different. However, what we ended up doing worked better than anything I had planned in my Orchid brain. Life’s funny like that, isn’t it? Anyway.
We’ll start with how I thought things were gonna go.
In the beginning, I kept having this awful nightmare in my head about choosing one dress for all of my girls and it only being something I liked but they didn’t. This probably stems from that thing we’ve talked about before with me and this urge I have that I have to keep everyone happy. My brain also does this horrible thing every now and then when it leads me to the worst possible outcome for every situation I am in. I could just see all of the girls whispering about me when I left the room about how horrible they thought their dresses were and how much they hated me for making them wear them. Now, I realize looking back that if the bridesmaids that I chose are behaving that way, then I clearly asked the wrong girls to be in my wedding. Fortunately, my princesses are some of the greatest girls I know and have had the best attitudes about everything. I’m so thankful for them. However, allow me to explain why I kept having the dress hating panic attack.
The five girls that I have asked to be in my wedding are very precious friends and I love them all dearly. But they could not be more different from each other in personality, hair color, skin color, style, sense of humor, and in body type. Just like the real Disney Princesses, not one of my girls is exactly the same as the other. I knew I wanted my Matron of Honor, Rapunzel, to have a dress that looked a little bit different from the others. I don’t like going to a wedding, seeing all of the girls wearing the same dress, and having to ask “Which one is the Maid of Honor?” So I knew Rapunzel’s dress was not going to be the same as everyone else’s. I told her this was the case and to start looking for herself, and let me know when she found something she liked.
But for everyone else, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. Based on how different my girls are, I knew from the beginning that finding one dress that fit all of them properly, that each girl liked, and was easy on the bank account was not going to be easy. In fact, it would be next to impossible. Call me a doubter, Garden. I will gladly admit it. Any time I tried to look at potential bridesmaid dresses, I would see it and start to see reasons one of the girls wouldn’t like it. Or I would know they all would like it, but I would see the price tag and instantly say no way. (Mommy and Daddy Orchid are paying for all of the bridesmaid dresses.) Then I would feel my throat start to swell closed, could feel my head inflating with air, hear the princesses voices in my head as they all trashed the dress I picked for them and knew that at any second I was going to explode.
Okay. That’s an exaggeration. But I knew I didn’t want to deal with the hassle and the drama of trying to get one reasonably priced dress for four girls (maybe five if we ultimately decided Rapunzel would wear the same dress, just in a different color or with a special belt around it or something). SO I decided that maybe it would be easier if we did something like this:
This was the perfect win-win, to me. Each girl could pick a dress she liked and felt comfortable in. But at the same time, they would each be the same basic shape and color, made from the same material. That way there would still be some sense of uniform, and they wouldn’t all look like a hot mess at the front of the church. That part was actually Mommy Orchid’s request, as she worried each girl choosing their own dress without any guidelines or set shape for them to follow would end up looking like a cluster of purple satin, cotton, and polyester materials in all of the pictures. So to sum up, mismatched dresses was what I wanted to happen.