Deborah and Laurence were married at The Ritz Carlton in Cancun, Mexico on November 27 — right after Thanksgiving! “The warm location, and the outstanding customer service of the hotel” made them know it was the venue for them! Who could resist that? The bride wore an ivory sweetheart a-line wedding gown with a ruffled skirt, accessorized with a sash tied in a bow, while the groom wore a black suit and tie. “Walking down the aisle barefoot with the sand between my toes . . . seeing my future life partner, family and close friends in front of this breathtaking ocean view,” Deborah said. “It was a moment of joy and tremendous gratitude with God for allowing everything I envisioned to be materialized.” The ceremony was strictly barefoot! Approximately 25 guests sat on comfy ottoman poufs, aisles were lined with wooden signs that displayed verses such as “love never fails” and “it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily ignored, it keeps no record of wrongs” from 1 Corinthians 13. After the traditional Jewish breaking of the glass, the nuptials were sealed with a kiss under the chuppah. Dinner and dancing followed inside the ballroom. Farm tables were decorated with lit lanterns and candles, continent table names, and lots and lots of rose petals. The newlyweds’ favorite moment? “The song I wrote and sang for Larry,” she said. Hangover kits attached to bottles of water served as favors, and a grand exit of sparklers ended the night.
1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know that it was the one?
The big, beautiful exotic trees and the ceremony area right next to palm trees and the ocean. It was such a perfect setting to walk down the aisle.
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. Our musicians – Shea Derrick and Full Flavor worked with us on which kind of music we wanted and played an eclectic selection of our choices and theirs, live! They let us pick songs that they would learn and sing, and our guests were amazed since the covers sounded so awesome. It was a mix between Shea singing, a guitarist, and a DJ, and they were fabulous!
2. The food – Aloha Events catered and bartended. We made a custom around the world menu with dishes from different countries we’ve traveled to. The food was superb, and the staff was great!
3. The cake – Maui Wedding Cakes designed a custom cake that looked like a mountain. We ordered rock climbing figurines from MyWeddingDolls.com that were designed to look like us, which were placed on the cake as rock climbers. Figurines of our two dogs were on top of the cake. The designer used string for the climbing rope. We gave her an extremely unique cake request, and she nailed it.
3. Give us the one moment in your wedding day you can’t stop thinking about.
Bride – Walking down the aisle and seeing my soon-to-be husband waiting for me. The look on his face filled my heart with so much joy and love, and I knew I was feeling the same thing he was – overwhelming happiness to spend the rest of our lives together.
Groom – We secretly took dance lessons once a week for like 5 months. We wanted a dance with big lifts and choreography that would blow our guests away. We couldn’t decide between her choice, Pearl Jam’s “Love Reign O’er Me” and my choice, O.A.R.’s “Hey Girl,” so we decided to do 2 dances. Our first one was for our first dance “Love Reign O’er Me” was formal and dramatic. Much later in the night, we surprised everyone with another dance. “Hey Girl” was swing and playful, and I lifted Samara over my head a few times. So much fun. We undertook a huge challenge, but it was my favorite memory. No one expected a dance like that, let alone two dances!