Photo by Meghan Christine Photography
If you’re trying to achieve a sun-kissed glow for your wedding day, it’s important to do so safely. We’ve all heard the scary stats about skin cancer – just because your wedding day is coming up doesn’t mean you’re excused from protecting yourself from the sun. And besides, you want to look gorgeous, not burnt to a crisp. Here are a few safe tanning tips to think about pre-wedding:
- Enjoy the sun, safely: Yes, it’s the summer – prime time for baking in the sun. So it’s so important to wear sunscreen every day, whether you’re laying out or not. Not only will it protect you from burns and skin cancer, but overexposure to the sun’s rays can bring on premature wrinkles and aging – not something you want for your wedding day. And don’t forget to reapply every few hours.
- Use self-tanner: There are lots of self-tanners out there can give you a natural-looking glow without exposing you to the sun’s harmful rays. But don’t wait until the week of your wedding to try out a new self-tanning product. Make sure you try out any products several months before your wedding to make sure you’re happy with the result.
- Spray tan: We all know the dangers of tanning beds, so spray tans are a fine alternative. However, there have been mixed reports about the dangers of breathing in or ingesting the spray tan, so it’s best to have a professional airbrush you, particularly before your wedding day. Again, be sure to try out a spray tan a few months before your wedding.
- Exfoliate: Before any type of tanning, you’ll need to slough off any dead skin cells to ensure an even tan. Use an exfoliating scrub and be sure to focus on particularly dry areas, like your elbows and knees.
- Ask the Expert: If you’re not into the whole sunless tanning thing, ask your makeup artist if there is anything he or she can do to give you a tanner complexion on your wedding day. Airbrush makeup and/or bronzer can be a great way to get a healthy glow.