1. What was the one thing about your venue that made you know it was the one?
We decided on our venue the weekend we became engaged. Dave asked me where I would like to get married, and I told him I despised cookie-cutter banquet halls and the restrictions that are so often laced into contractual agreements and would love to find a private property where we could design our own venue from scratch. He suggested getting married in his parents’ backyard, and to our surprise, his parents agreed to it! It was where we met for our first date seven years ago. Our venue was incredibly special to us; we knew it was the one because it was the only one we even considered!
2. Which three details from your wedding were your favorites?
1. Our flowers were definitely one of my favorite details. While planning our wedding, I went from knowing absolutely nothing about flowers to learning more about flower variations, seasons, and hardiness than I ever would have imagined. While we wanted our guests to feel at ease at our reception, I did not want our garden wedding to look like a garden party. I realized that our flowers would set the tone for the evening, and I wanted them to be whimsical and romantic. They were stunning.
2. Another favorite detail was our yay flags. While I’m certainly not the first person to think of this idea, as someone who exclaims the word “yay” on a daily basis, I knew these flags would be perfect for us. My parents and I invested several hours and sacrificed several fingers to the hot glue gun while hand-crafting 150 flags with hand-tied bells for our guests. Before we walked back down the aisle as a married couple, we both couldn’t help but laugh when we turned around to the sound of dozens of tiny bells while little flags flapped in the air.
3. I also loved my bridal flats. After realizing that high-heels were not an option for our garden wedding, I spent several months looking for the perfect flats or wedges. I am so happy that I decided to purchase ballet flats because I was on my feet all night conversing with guests, and I was unbelievably comfortable!
3. Give us the one moment in your wedding day you can’t stop thinking about.
The one moment I cannot stop thinking about is our first look. I knew I would be nervous on our wedding day, but I was far more emotional than I could have ever imagined. I am so happy that Dave and I were able to see each other (and shed a few tears together) before walking down the aisle. It was such an incredible, intimate moment. Seeing each other calmed my nerves so I could soak in the beautiful words spoken at our ceremony.