Willow Lake is located in Social Circle, a historic community located some 40 miles east of Atlanta in the Historic Heartlands section of Georgia in rural Walton County. Established in 1818, Walton County is named for George Walton, one of the original signers of America's Declaration of Independence.
Willow Lake, originally Mathis Lake, was once owned by Mathis P&M Dairy, well known for their mascot "Rosebud" and their "Energy Integrated Farm System" which used manure to create electricity. In 1982 Ron and Carol Pennington purchased almost 14 acres of the property which included a large portion of Mathis lake. A few years after purchasing the property, Ron and Carol built a beautiful home which includes two lakes, professional landscaping, a live fish pond, a coverered wrap around deck with lighting and ceiling fans, as well as a beautiful gazebo.
After hosting weddings for family, friends, and church members, the family decided to share the beautiful property with the public, and now offers the venue for an affordable price.